2015 Year In Review

Danbury Police Chief Derek Dyson lets out a scream as he is hit with a Taser by Officer Marc Staff in front of a crowd at Danbury High School on Aug. 6, 2015. Dyson agreed to take a hit from the standard-issue stun gun if the department’s Facebook page reached 1,600 likes in July.

DANBURY — Police Chief Derek Dyson is leaving the city after five years in the job.

Dyson will officially step down at the end of the day June 14, he said in a statement announcing his resignation. He is taking a position with the Brazosport ISD Police Department, he said.

“I’ve done all I can do for this community, and at a certain point, we have to keep moving forward,” Dyson said.

Police chiefs in Danbury typically stay in the position about every two years, Dyson said, and he has enjoyed his time there for the last five. He’s looking forward to trying out something new, Dyson said.

Mayor Melinda Strong said the community will miss Dyson and she’s sad to see him go, but recognizes the move is a positive step for his career.

The police chief has done a lot to involve the community and develop relationships, Strong said, including a time he subjected himself to a Taser at the high schoolas a means of spreading awareness about sharing too much information on social media.

Moving into a school-based law enforcement position will present an exciting opportunity, Dyson said.

“Brazosport ISD has some of the finest men and women in law enforcement, and I’m looking forward to working with them,” Dyson said.

Dyson said the type of police work within the school could lead to an opportunity to be chief of police within another district at some point in the future, but he’s happy to be with Brazosport ISD as long as they’ll have him.

Dyson’s departure marks the second time Danbury has lost its police chief to the Brazosport ISD department. Myles Hopkins resigned to work for the school district when it started its department in the summer of 2013. Hopkins had been chief for 2 1/2 years.

Mike Goodson, who replaced Hopkins as chief, hired Dyson on from the Surfside Beach Police Department in November 2013. Goodson and the city parted company after only six months, and Dyson assumed the chief’s responsibilities before being named officially to the job in August 2014.

Courtney Blackann is a reporter for The Facts. Contact her at 979-237-0152.

(0) entries

Sign the guestbook.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.