ANGLETON — The jury hearing the first-degree murder case against a Clute teenager will go to a third day of deliberations after members were unable to reach an unanimous decision Friday.
Judge Patrick Sebesta told the jury to return at 9:30 a.m. Monday to continue deliberating in the trial of Lorenzo Jamole Bass, 17, of Clute. Bass is accused of being involved in a failed robbery that left Guadalupe Garcia, 69, of Angleton dead on March 14, 2011, at Garcia’s home in the 300 block of Rogers Street. Bass is being tried as an adult.
In another courtroom this week, a jury needed only a couple of hours to find an Alvin man not guilty of murder. Felipe Daniel Flores, 21, of Alvin was acquitted of first-degree murder Thursday in Judge Randall Hufstetler’s courtroom.
Flores was accused of shooting Juan Sambrano, 28, who was found dead in Flores’ trailer home in the 2300 block of Mustang Road in Alvin on Oct. 16.
After Thursday’s verdict, Flores soon will be back with his wife and 3-month-old daughter, said defense attorney Brian Warren.
“I’m really happy for him,” Warren said. “It’s nice to be able to send him back home.”
District Attorney Jeri Yenne declined to comment other than to say she respected the jury’s decision.
Warren believes Flores acted in self-defense, saying Flores thought Sambrano was reaching for a gun when the two got into a confrontation the night of Oct. 16. Investigators did not find a gun on Sambrano.
“He feels horrible,” Warren said of Flores. “He was speechless when the jury came back. He couldn’t even muster any words.”
The two men had been drinking that day with friends and were in a friendly mood until Flores claims Sambrano started going through his home’s cabinets, Warren said. The two got into an argument, which escalated to Flores shooting Sambrano and leaving the trailer, he said.
“Felipe thought he was going for a gun,” Warren said.
Flores fled to Houston, where he got on a bus headed to Mexico, he said.
“It wasn’t the right thing to do,” Warren said. “He was scared to death.”
He stayed in San Miguel, Mexico, with his father until he voluntarily was arrested in February at the Texas-Mexico border and was brought back to Brazoria County by Alvin police, Warren said.
In the other trial, Angleton police allege Bass, who was 15 on March 14, 2011, along with Justin Dewayne Wilson, 20, of Rosharon and Kenneth Wayne Anthony, 19, of Angleton forced their way into a small room adjacent to the home, demanding money and drugs from Garcia and his cousin Lawrence Davila. When Garcia and his cousin tried to push the intruders out, a 12-gauge shotgun round was fired into Garcia’s chest, according to police. Garcia died about two-and-a-half hours later.
A jury convicted Wilson in March of firing the gun and sentenced him to life in prison. During Wilson’s trial, a videotaped confession was played in which Wilson said he was armed with a 12-gauge shotgun, Anthony with a .22-caliber revolver and Bass with a metal pipe as they approached a small building on Garcia’s property that night.
All three were charged with murder. Anthony still is awaiting trial.
Bass could face up to 99 years in prison if convicted.
Yenne and defense attorney Cary Faden declined to comment as the trial is still in progress.