REDMOND, Wash.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Nov 9, 2022--
Today, Nintendo released a new Indie World showcase, revealing a diverse lineup of more than 20 upcoming indie games headed to the Nintendo Switch system in 2022 and beyond. The presentation included the announcement that the much-anticipated sports RPG Sports Story will touchdown on Nintendo Switch this December. It also revealed the news that Rogue Legacy 2, the acclaimed sequel to the beloved genealogical roguelite, will bequeath its legacy onto Nintendo Switch later today!
This press release features multimedia. View the full release here: https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20221109005372/en/
In this all-out sporting RPG, you’ll rise through the ranks of the sports world and prove your prowess on the golf course, tennis court and football pitch. Sports Story launches on Nintendo Switch this December. (Graphic: Business Wire)
Other games featured included the beautifully handcrafted adventure Aka, in which players take on the role of a retired warrior aiming to find inner peace on an isolated island paradise, launching for Nintendo Switch on Dec. 15; the wholesome puzzler ALittle to the Left, which launches later today, and challenges players to sort, stack and organize household objects into just the right spot – despite the disruptive influence of a mischievous cat; and Venba, a narrative cooking game, where food, music and family all come together to create a delicate symphony on Nintendo Switch in spring 2023.
“We’re so impressed by the passion and talent on display from indie developers who create these inspiring and diverse experiences for Nintendo Switch,” said Steve Singer, Nintendo of America’s Senior Vice President of Publisher and Developer Relations. “Their contributions help the Nintendo Switch family of systems deliver on its promise of being the home for games that everyone can enjoy.”
To view the Indie World Showcase in its entirety, visit https://www.nintendo.com/indie-world/. The video showed off new details and footage for an appealing assortment of games, including:
- Rogue Legacy 2from Cellar Door Games: Anyone can be a hero in this sequel to the beloved roguelite game where the adventure changes with every playthrough. Whether you’re a lute-playing bard with vertigo, or a colorblind knight, your goals are the same – gather countless riches, build up your castle and ensure your legacy. All your upgrades carry over to your heirs and each new successor wields their own personal traits and abilities. The Nintendo Switch version also includes the Fabled Heroes update, adding a ton of new content, including dozens of new sub-classes and items. Rogue Legacy 2 launches on Nintendo Switch later today.
- Venbafrom Visai Games: Get a taste of this wholesome narrative cooking game set in the 1980s, in which you’ll help an Indian mother, who has recently immigrated to Canada, reconnect with her heritage by cooking a variety of mouth-watering South Indian dishes. Experience a story of love and loss through branching conversations, try to restore lost family recipes and bop along to a soundtrack inspired by Indian musicals. Venba comes to Nintendo Switch in spring 2023.
- A Little to the Leftfrom MAX INFERNO and SECRET MODE: A Little to the Left is a cozy puzzle game in which players organize household objects into satisfying arrangements. A mischievous cat who likes to shake things up will appear from time to time to make a mess of any beautifully organized objects. There are more than 75 delightful puzzles to discover, many of which have multiple solutions. A Little to the Left launches on Nintendo Switch later today.
- Blancfrom Casus Ludi and Gearbox Publishing: In the spectacular, monochrome world of Blanc, a fawn and a wolf cub must learn to rely on each other to find their way home. Throughout this co-op adventure, the unlikely friends must coordinate and use their individual strengths to navigate obstacles among the frosty terrain. Blanc is a completely text-free story with local* and online co-op play**, making it inviting for everyone to enjoy. Blanc launches as a console exclusive on Nintendo Switch on Feb. 14, 2023. Pre-orders begin in Nintendo eShop and the My Nintendo Store on Nintendo.com later today.
- Have a Nice Deathfrom Magic Design Studios and Gearbox Publishing: Don the robes of Death Incorporated’s CEO – Death himself – in this hand-drawn 2D action roguelike game. Explore the darkly charming, procedurally generated departments of the corporation’s headquarters, and use an arsenal of weapons, spells and special curses in your mission to round up the rogue employees who have been snatching up too many souls on Earth. Have a Nice Death launches for Nintendo Switch on March 22, 2023. Pre-orders go live later today in Nintendo eShop and the My Nintendo Store on Nintendo.com.
- Once Upon a Jesterfrom Bonte Avond and Crunching Koalas: Best friends Sok and Jester have devised a mischievous scheme to steal a Royal Diamond. But their plan hinges on receiving an invitation to join the famous Royal Theatrical Spectacle. They’ll have to improvise their way to fame and outperform every other act they encounter on the road. Their wacky, whimsical journey leads them across a fantasy kingdom full of silly characters and even sillier spectacles. Once Upon a Jester jingles onto Nintendo Switch later today.
- Akafrom Cosmo Gatto and Neowiz: Take on the role of the retired warrior Aka in this top-down, small open-world game and aim to find inner peace on an isolated island paradise. In handcrafted islands covered in majestic mountains, dense tropical forests and inviting hot springs, Aka can nurture flora and fauna, build a shelter, craft items or even feed baby dragons. Different quests await to ultimately meet the ghosts of Aka’s past. Aka washes up on Nintendo Switch on Dec. 15.
- Sports Storyfrom Sidebar Games: In this all-out sporting RPG, you’ll rise through the ranks of the sports world and prove your prowess on the golf course, tennis court and football pitch. By raising your sporting rank you’ll unlock even more disciplines, including BMX, volleyball, cricket and more. But the game isn’t just about sports – hop on a train or helicopter to explore dungeons, abandoned ruins and the mysterious Wildlands, or kick back at the mall with its daily attractions, specialty sports stores and minigames. Sports Story launches on Nintendo Switch this December.
- Botany Manorfrom Balloon Studios and Whitethorn Games: Take on the role of Arabella Green, a retired botanist who owns a historical manor in the 19 th century. Arabella takes care of the manor’s magnificent gardens by solving plant-based puzzles and preserving a collection of forgotten flora. Inspecting the manor will show clues, newspaper clippings, letters and more to help Arabella’s gardening skills blossom while you’re learning more about her. Botany Manor blooms on Nintendo Switch next year.
- GOODBYE WORLDfrom ISOLATION STUDIO and PM Studios, Inc.: GOODBYE WORLD follows the story of Kanii and Kumade, two friends and indie game developers striving to find the perfect idea for their next game. Watch their story develop as you play through stages of a retro-inspired puzzle-platformer while following their day-to-day struggles. Will their friendship be able to take the strain of these challenges? GOODBYE WORLD launches on Nintendo Switch later this month.
- Dordognefrom Un Je Ne Sais Quoi, Umanimation and Focus Entertainment: In this immersive narrative experience, you’ll play as Mimi, a girl who spent all her childhood summers in the Dordogne region of France. Now Mimi returns to the home of her late grandmother, who has left behind a series of letters and lost family secrets to be uncovered. Play in both the past and the present – skip through the French countryside as 10-year-old Mimi, while exploring her grandmother’s house in the present. Discover the close relationship between grandmother and granddaughter, as you collect photos, objects and words to fill Mimi’s journal and keep her precious memories alive. Dordogne launches on Nintendo Switch in spring 2023.
- A Space for the Unboundfrom Mojiken, Toge Productions and Chorus Worldwide Games: A slice-of-life adventure game with beautiful pixel art set in late ’90s rural Indonesia, A Space for the Unbound tells a story about the relationship between a boy and a girl with supernatural powers. When a mysterious power threatens their existence, they must explore their town to uncover hidden secrets, face the end of the world and perhaps learn more about each other. A Space for the Unbound launches on Nintendo Switch on Jan. 19, 2023.
- Coffee Talk Episode 2: Hibiscus & Butterflyfrom Toge Productions and Chorus Worldwide Games: The coffee-brewing, narrative-driven visual novel is back for a second episode! As the barista of your own late-night coffee shop, you’ll meet quirky characters – not all of them human – listen to their stories and get to know them. There’s the right brew for each customer, latte art to dazzle them and even secret recipes to warm their hearts. Coffee Talk Episode 2: Hibiscus & Butterfly pours onto Nintendo Switch next spring.
- ONI : Road to be the Mightiest Onifrom KENEI DESIGN and Clouded Leopard Entertainment: Take on the role of a vengeful demon warrior in this spirited 3D action-adventure game. After his defeat at the hands of a Japanese folktale hero, Kuuta travels to a small island where he joins forces with the spirit Kazemaru. Ancient demons lurk within vast meadows and lush forests. To defeat them, you’ll control both characters simultaneously using a single Joy-Con controller. Wield Kuuta’s club to attack demons, then summon Kazemaru to draw out their spirits. ONI : Road to be the Mightiest Oni launches for Nintendo Switch on March 9, 2023.
- Desta: The Memories Betweenfrom ustwo games: From the creators of Monument Valley comes a character-driven roguelike, featuring an immersive story, strategic turn-based tactics, as well as dodgeball action. Every night, when Desta falls asleep, they enter a mysterious dreamworld filled with scattered memories of long-forgotten locations and faces from days gone by. During their slumber, Desta uses powerful orbs to play a surreal turn-based ball game which can change the course of conversations. Desta: The Memories Between launches on Nintendo Switch early next year.
- Pepper Grinderfrom Ahr Ech and Devolver Digital: Shipwrecked and robbed, treasure hunter Pepper must spin up her trusty drill, Grinder, to reclaim what was stolen from her in this spicy action-adventure game. Cruise through a colorfully animated world with fluid drilling and thrilling leaps. Chew through the terrain with Grinder and unlock new drill bits to ramp up the chaos and solve clever puzzles. Collect treasure and other riches, then cash them in to pep up Pepper, open up new paths on the world map and snag collectible figures for your gallery. Pepper Grinder launches for Nintendo Switch in 2023.
This Indie World presentation also included a montage of even more indie games on the horizon for Nintendo Switch, including the critically-acclaimed Inscryption, which blends the deckbuilding and roguelike genres with escape-room-style puzzles and psychological horror all into an inky black odyssey, launching on Dec. 1; Wobbledogs Console Edition, a casual 3D pet-simulation sandbox, in which players care for their own personal collection of wobbly, mutating dogs – launching on Nov. 17, with pre-orders available later today in Nintendo eShop and the My Nintendo Store on Nintendo.com; WrestleQuest, the ultimate pro wrestling adventure in which RPG and pro wrestling combine for the very first time, launching in May 2023; Storyteller, an award-winning reactive puzzler in which players must use their wits to retell iconic tales, releasing on March 23, 2023 as a console-launch exclusive; Curse of the Sea Rats, an epic hand-animated, story-rich action adventure featuring swashbuckling pirate rats, launching in early 2023; and, last but not least, WORLD OF HORROR, a 1-bit roguelite horror RPG that pits players against eldritch mysteries and malevolent legends of Japanese folklore, creeping up in summer 2023.
Remember that Nintendo Switch features parental controls that let adults manage the content their children can access. For more information about other features, visit https://www.nintendo.com/switch/.
* Additional games, systems and/or some accessories may be required for multiplayer mode. Games, systems and some accessories sold separately.
** Any Nintendo Switch Online membership (sold separately) and Nintendo Account required for online features. Membership auto-renews after initial term at the then-current price unless canceled. Not available in all countries. Internet access required for online features. Terms apply. nintendo.com/switch-online
About Nintendo: Nintendo Co., Ltd., headquartered in Kyoto, Japan, has created franchises that have become household names worldwide, including Mario™, Donkey Kong™, The Legend of Zelda™, Metroid™, Pokémon™, Animal Crossing™, Pikmin™ and Splatoon™, through its integrated hardware and software products. Nintendo aims to deliver unique, intuitive entertainment experiences for everyone, manufacturing and marketing video game devices such as the Nintendo Switch ™ family of systems, developing and operating applications for smart devices, and collaborating with partners on a range of other entertainment initiatives like visual content and theme parks. Nintendo has sold more than 5.4 billion video games and over 800 million hardware units globally. From the launch of the Nintendo Entertainment System ™ more than 30 years ago, through today and into the future, Nintendo’s continuing mission is to create unique entertainment that puts smiles on the faces of people all over the world. A wholly owned subsidiary, Nintendo of America Inc., based in Redmond, Wash., serves as headquarters for Nintendo’s operations in the Americas. For more information about Nintendo, please visit the company’s website at https://www.nintendo.com/.
Note to editors: Nintendo press materials are available at https://press.nintendo.com, a password-protected site. To obtain a login, please register on the site.
View source version on businesswire.com:https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20221109005372/en/
KEYWORD: UNITED STATES NORTH AMERICA WASHINGTON
INDUSTRY KEYWORD: RETAIL ONLINE CONSUMER ELECTRONICS MOBILE ENTERTAINMENT TECHNOLOGY WOMEN ONLINE RETAIL TEENS MEN ELECTRONIC GAMES FAMILY SOFTWARE ENTERTAINMENT CONSUMER INTERNET
Copyright Business Wire 2022.
PUB: 11/09/2022 12:30 PM/DISC: 11/09/2022 12:32 PM