splash pad

The splash pad at the Lake Jackson Civic Center was determined to be the source of the amoeba that killed a 6-year-old boy, city officials said Friday.

LAKE JACKSON — The Lake Jackson Civic Center’s splash pad storage tank created an environment where Naegleria fowleri, a rare brain-eating amoeba, could become viable, extensive testing by the CDC showed.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention analyzed the genotype and confirmed it was the same type that killed 6-year-old Josiah McIntyre, according to a news release. Other samples that found the DNA for Naegleria fowleri — a hose bib at Josiah’s home and a fire hydrant — did not create an environment for the amoeba to grow, the CDC determined.

“The city now accepts these results and the responsibility they bring with them,” City Manager Modesto Mundo said at a press conference Friday afternoon. “We never want this event to happen again.”

Lake Jackson was notified of the boy’s infection of Primary Amebic Meningoencephalitis on Sept. 8, the same day he died. The city shut down its splash pad, which Josiah had played with in late August, that day.

The splash pad is closed out of respect for the family and an abundance of caution, according to the release. It will not reopen before discussions with the family and City Council, Mundo said.

City water remains safe to drink without boiling it since the boil water notice was rescinded Tuesday, the city says.

The lowest free chlorine residual level tested at 1.7 parts per million, while the threshold to rescind the boil water notice was 0.2 parts per million.

Maddy McCarty is assistant managing editor for The Facts. Contact her at 979-237-0151.

Recommended for you

(2) entries

overhere

Does Surfside Beach have a splashpad now as well? Is it built with the same sort of system? Is anyone testing that one?

rodmccain

In the article it Mundo states the splashpad had to be treated with chlorine in the same way a pool would be. The civic center staff was responsible for that maintenance. While the staff had a schedule to chlorinate every Friday they did not keep records of doing so" I guess Bill Yenne forgot to perform internal audits of the city's processes! Modesto maybe Bill should come over and answer the media's questions. How about it Maddy?

Sign the guestbook.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
PLEASE TURN OFF YOUR CAPS LOCK.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.