WILD PEACH — Residents trying to stay warm lost their house when the fire they had started to spread, authorities said.

Firefighters from Wild Peach, with support from neighboring departments including West Columbia, Sweeny, Brazoria and River’s End, responded to the reported fire on CR 342 just before 4 p.m. Friday. When they arrived, they took a defensive approach to do their best to prevent the blaze from spreading.

It was an accidental fire, Brazoria County Fire Marshal Martin Vela said.

“The residents were home at the time and they were they were using a chimney in the garage area trying to keep warm, and it kind of got a got away from them and caught the house on fire,” Vela said.

The fire was too close to the structure and caused the walls to flame up, he said.

Sweeny EMS, Brazoria Fire Department, the Brazoria County Fire Marshal and Brazoria County Sheriff’s Department were called for assistance as well.

“One firefighter was injured but it was treated on the scene,” Vela said.

It took about an hour for the fire to be knocked down.

The residents were not injured and no one had to be taken to the hospital.

Andrew Tineo is a reporter for The Facts, contact him at 979-237-0151 or andrew.tineo@thefacts.com.

Recommended for you

(0) entries

Sign the guestbook.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
PLEASE TURN OFF YOUR CAPS LOCK.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.